Sunday, March 17, 2013

Don't Let It Beat You

"I believe that potential is unlimited.  Success depends on daring to act on dreams.  Decide how far you want to go and go the distance."  -Mrs. Estee Lauder

One of the greatest lessons I've ever learned, and a sentiment I often pass on to those around me is "Whatever it is, don't let it beat you."  I've found that this small quote that I read in an American Girl book circa age 9 is often times exactly what someone needs to hear.

Don't let it beat you means that we don't let the struggles we go through define the moment that we're in.  It means that we don't give up even when we are sure that changes can't be made.  It means that we fight for what we know is right until there's no more reason to fight.  Don't let it beat you means that we decide what our futures hold because no one else should.  Don't let it beat you doesn't mean that you have to win...it just means that we gave it our best shot.

This week, I had to give myself a "don't let it beat you."  Things just seemed to be working against me.  I had a couple of days off (which is rare) and I was hoping to get to spend them with family, but we had a situation that kept us in Hickory two extra days.  After the situation was handled, we headed home, but we ended up doing WAY more driving than I anticipated.  When I finally got home to see my family, it was 1:00 in the morning and I was two days late.  I had to cram all of my previously planned activities into two days and then hit the road for work.  So, I was exhausted from constantly running around (I had two days to spend time with my parents and my in-laws) and still didn't get to do everything I had wanted.  I had to go out of town for work on Thursday.  I was planning on leaving straight from Greensboro on Thursday morning, but the dress code for our seminar changed last minute and I had only brought the clothing I was planning to wear with me.  So, I had to head back to Hickory on Wednesday night.  On Thursday, I woke up late and had about an hour and a half to make a two hour drive.  My conference was MUCH longer than I expected it to last and we had an obligation in Charlotte afterwards that same night.  When we finally got back to Hickory on Thursday night, frustrated and exhausted, Jordan and I got into bed and she said "I've never been more excited to go to sleep."  We were tired and worn out and the only thing I could think about was that I had a big day at work the next morning.  When I got to work on Friday, our numbers were down much more than they've ever been before.  I was ready to cry.  Or go home.  Or both.  But instead, I took a minute to myself and reminded myself that I can't let it beat me.

You see, weeks like the one I just described are common.  I live a busy life and that's not changing anytime soon.  However, I can't let it beat me...and neither can you.  We have to push through stress and restraints and other people's mistakes causing us hardship.  There are plenty of things that will beat us if we let them.  What we often seem to loose sight of is the fact that being beaten is something we allow to happen to ourselves.  We get tired and we decide that things are just too hard.  I'm here to tell you that you're exhaustion IS VALID.  You DO have a reason to want to give up, go home, cry, and take a nap...but how much more rewarding is it to say "I conquered the hard stuff!!"?  How much more beautiful is life when we don't feel defeated?  Remind yourself "it's just a minor set back...it's just a bump in the road...this doesn't have to beat me."  Because the longer you fight and the harder you work, the more powerful you are.  When you "don't let it beat you," even if you lose, you get to walk away with your head held high.  When you "don't let it beat you," you get to discover a new, stronger part of yourself.  When you "don't let it beat you," you win.

Whatever it is, don't let it beat you.

2 comments:

  1. What an encouraging post! And just what I needed to hear. I've noticed something about how I operate...my temptation to quit a project seems consistently to happen when I am about 75% done. Examples: I most want to leave teaching at the end of the third quarter of the year. I regret my decision to paint the living room as I'm finishing the third wall. Baking Christmas cookies is no longer fun after the third of four batches is rolled out and cut. So weirdly consistent! I've wondered sometimes if this is just me, or if everyone has some point when they want to ditch it all and walk away, and if their point is as consistent as mine. Anyway, thanks for another intriguing post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used have a similar issue with quitting things at about 75% completion. One thing that really worked for me is with each task I took on, just trying to do another 5% more than the previous task. At first, I was only getting 80% of my undertakings done...then 85, then 90...next thing you know, you're finishing each task you take on! It's also important to do things at your own pace and adjusting your pace based on the task.

      Delete