Saturday, February 8, 2014

Personal Satisfaction

"You are the girl with small hands and big eyes who never stops asking for more." -Sarah Kay

I know my blogging has been sparse lately.  I've been immersed in my studies.  Working full time and being a full time student has proven to be one of the most rewarding challenges I've ever taken on.  I'm learning so much about myself - my drive and my motivation.  I'm learning about my limits as well.  And I'm learning that no matter what I decide to do with my life, I will help make people better.  I'm not sure where that road will take me yet...but I know that my life will mean something to other people.

This is a concept I had never considered.  My life mattering and making a difference in the world.  In 2011, I didn't think I'd be alive to see that Christmas.  Now, three years later, I'm entertaining the idea of a long and meaningful life.  So now I've found a dilemma...what do to with it?  I didn't think I'd ever have to answer that question.  I've thought long and hard about the question.  My thoughts go back to one of my favorite quotes by Mary Oliver: "What is it you plan to do with this one wild and precious life?" I've found an answer that satisfies me for now.

"I will leave people and places better than I found them." -JS

That answer will change.  A lot.  I'm sure of it.  But for now, I think it's okay.  I'm resting in thoughts of helping others.  I'm working hard at school with the end goal being a fulfilling life.  I'm getting my education for me.  But I'm also getting it for all of the people I could potentially help with my education.  I'm getting it for the people who read my blog and believe in me.  I'm getting it for my moms who are increasingly proud and supportive of me.  I'm getting it for my wife, who is motivated by my willingness to take care of our family financially and better myself while she makes her way through graduate school.  I'm getting it for the people who don't believe in me, to prove that "I can" means "I will."  But most importantly, I'm getting an education because I feel alive again.

If you're looking for a challenge for yourself, think about what you're doing with your life.  Think about your talents and abilities.  How can you use those to better the people and places around you?  How can bettering the people and places around you make you feel alive?

"I want you to know that this world is made out of sugar.  It can crumble so easily, but don't be afraid to stick your tongue out and taste it."  -Sarah Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment