Saturday, September 21, 2013

Change the World

I was reminded today of how awful the world can be.  Then I wondered what I'm doing to change it.

The above quote was a Facebook status I posted about a month ago. I had a really hard day. I was emotionally drained and society wasn't offering any sort of relief. However, I always try to offer alternative perspectives in everything I do, and this situation was no exception. The world felt bad... What am I doing about that?

It's human nature to only see one side of the picture. When someone hurts you, you only see their faults. When we mess up, we're often able to justify our mistakes by offering a reason for why we acted or reacted a certain way. However, we don't allow others this same justification. We have to be aware of when we make mistakes (and acknowledge that we do make mistakes) before we can point fingers at those around us.  Really, we shouldn't have much right to point fingers at all if we're acknowledging our own faults. 

Now, back to the quote. I posted this a month ago, so why am I blogging about it now? Well, this week I went home for a few days. Usually this is a great relief for me. I love being able to see my family and friends and having some time away from work. And I did have an awesome time. However, life kicked me in the gut the entire time I was there. Home is bittersweet for me. I have a lot of relationships there that are wonderful. I also have a lot of damage there that still hurts. The pain of going home is usually masked by the joy of spending time with the people I love. This time, it wasn't. I've been thinking a lot about what I left behind when I chose to live my life with Jordan. It wasn't much, really. A father that did more damage to me than anyone else in my life. A step-mother who betrayed my trust and diminished every ounce of confidence I ever had in myself. A church that, once on the outside, I realized was not biblically sound. And my sister. My sister is someone I avoid talking about as much as possible. It's just too painful to rehash our story. Let's suffice it to say that she was the most beautiful person inside and out and she is the only thing I regret leaving behind. However, for reasons outside of any one's control, I will never see her again.  The world can be awful. 

So what am I doing to change it? I try to be a good person and help people when I can. I give all I have in me to the people I meet. I lend my heart to those around me as often as they need it. Aside from that, nothing. I don't think many of us do. If we did, the world wouldn't be the way it is now. But I don't really know where to start to change it. I guess that's my fault. I'm not saying the problems of the world fall on a single person, but I am acknowledging that I do not consistently contribute to the betterment of society. Really, do you? 

I called a customer this week to tell her about our upcoming gift with purchase at Estée Lauder. The phone call went to voicemail where this message played: "Thank you for calling the (last name here)'s. We are out changing the world and making history. When we return, there will be new adventures to share. Leave a message and when the wind leads us back home, we'll be sure to exchange stories with you. Until then, do great things."  This is the type of person I want to be.  I want to make my own adventure and have a story worth sharing.  I admire the spirit of this old couple.  I also admire their challenge: "do great things."  Think about how often you feel like you've done something great.  What if we made a conscious effort to do something great every day?  It could make you feel so alive.  That's all we really want, right?  This couple is changing something about the world.  I'm not sure how big or small, but they've inspired me and that's worth something.  How many other people have heard their answering machine and decided those words meant something?

I guess my point today is that we have a choice to contribute to the bad that's in the world or change it...complaining shouldn't be an option.  So what are you going to do now?

"If a person with a bullet could change the world, imagine what a person with an idea could do." -J. Straczynski

1 comment:

  1. How many times have you had one person make a difference in your life? Many times. You've written about it often.

    You try to give as much of yourself as you can to those you love, to help those around you and those you just meet. You are thoughtful about your life and the world around you. Do not discount the power that has to change the larger community you live in and, exponentially, the world.

    You bought someone in a bad spot their groceries the other week. That will have a ripple effect. They won't forget the time they were hurting and a stranger helped. Sometime, in some way, they will do the same and the ripple will continue.

    The cashier saw this and will mention it. Ripple. The guy in the line behind too. Ripple. The kid you helped will tell someone. Ripple.

    If we all do what we can, no matter the 'size', to make our little corner of the world better, eventually those ripples blend and expand and the world gets a little better.

    Just reaffirming to someone that people who give a damn do exist helps a lot to alter the attitudes within a community. A miserly community, be it with food, care or whatever will be a miserable one no matter its wealth.

    A generous community, no matter how poor, will be a good place for the heart.

    It's good to look at the bigger picture, it's good to re-evaluate periodically and see if there is more you can do, but never doubt how valuable to improving your world those seemingly small gestures are.
    Just reaffirming to someone that people who give a damn do exist helps a lot.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete