Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Empowerment

There are certain moments that resonate with you for the rest of your life.  These are moments of empowerment.  Empowerment is a process that challenges our assumptions about the way things are and can be.  It challenges our basic assumptions about power, helping, achieving, and succeeding.  Empowerment differs from strength, in that it is more defining.  You feel empowered for a fleeting moment...but strength is something you build over time.  Empowerment is that feeling of victory that you get when you've completed something that seemed so impossible.  It's also a small glimmer of hope that you were made to do something great.  When you're deeply depressed, empowerment does not exist.  There are no glimmers of hope and there's no encouragement from any source.

My therapists' name is Emily.  She was my counselor when I was younger (approx. age 9).  I stopped seeing her after about 2 years.  After my first hospitalization, the hospital referred me to the Mental Health Associates of the Triad, for whom Emily just happened to work.  When beginning counseling through MHA, you have an intake assessment in which they match you with a counselor that fits your needs.  Emily was my match.  When the woman told me who my counselor would be, I could hardly believe it.  Emily has truly had my back through everything. She's very dear to me...she also knows me better than anyone.

During my first session (as an adult) with Emily, she said two things to me that have stuck with me:

1. I can't help you unless you believe that rescue is possible.
Emily has seen me at my best.  She has also seen me at my worst.  And this statement reigns true regardless. When things are low, Emily needs me to know that it can get better.  When things are great, Emily needs me to be prepared for "triggers" that could bring me down again.  If you're going through hard times, you have to believe that they can get better because you can't see change unless you believe that its worth looking for.

2. We're going to walk down this road of healing together.
Emily told me this to let me know that I was not alone.  You need to know that too.  You aren't alone.  No one knows that you're having a hard time unless you tell them.  I know, as women, we try to keep ourselves together and put on our "best face" for everyone around us.  I also know, as women, we need to break down sometimes.  That's okay.  You don't have to have it all together.  You can fall apart...you can also ask for help when you're falling apart.  You don't have to heal alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment