Saturday, September 29, 2012

Loving You

At work, I am a beauty adviser for Estee Lauder.  At home, I am a wife.  I run errands, cook, do laundry (Jordan and I do share this responsibility), and help with some of the cleaning.  I am also almost always the "driver."  To my dog, I am mom.  I take him on walks.  I'm the one he wants when he's hurt or doesn't feel well.  I put him to bed each night.  And I take him to puppy training classes on Thursdays.  Don't get me wrong, Jordan spends time with Eli too...but I'm the one he won't go anywhere without.  I have so many other roles in this world...these are just a few.  And we wonder how we get burnt out!  How do we "find ourselves" amongst all of the roles society has created for us?

When I started this blog, I had no idea people would read it.  That sounds silly.  Why would I write something and post it on a public forum without expecting anyone to read it?  Well, it's unfathomable to me that someone actually wants to know about my life.  Why, of all the things you could be doing, are you reading this blog??  Do I want you to read it?  Absolutely!  I'm amazed by how much support I've received...but I never expected it.  This blog is a form of release for me.  This is a way for me to get my thoughts straight and maybe even help you get your thoughts straight.  It's relaxing.  I get excited about writing something new.  This is my "me" time.

We all need to treat ourselves right.  That sounds obvious, but how often do you actually do it?  How frequently do you allow yourself to just relax one night.  When is the last time you hired a babysitter so that you could go out without your children or stay home for a quiet night alone?  Do you show yourself that you love yourself?

Today, I am getting a massage before work.  It's not something I do frequently, but sometimes you deserve a treat.  I've been working really hard.  Over the course of this year, I've planned a wedding, moved twice, got married, got a dog, lost loved ones, and SO many other life events.  We're approaching October.  Today, I get to treat myself.  You don't have to go to the spa once a month.  It doesn't have to be a grand vacation.  Just do something quiet.  Take time to read a book that doesn't relate to school or work.  Have a sleepover with a good friend.  Spend a full day watching movies in your pajamas.  Just allow yourself to feel relaxed and special.  No one knows what you need more than you do.

Show yourself, that you love yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment