Saturday, August 10, 2013

Love Out Loud

"I want to make beautiful things, even if nobody cares." -Saul Bass

I have never experienced the panic I felt this week, ever before.  On Wednesday night I got a very disturbing phone call with very little information and on Thursday I got more information with very little time.  It was hard, nerve racking, and something that I never ever want to experience again.  While the panic was terrifying, the beauty that came to me on Thursday was incredible.

I was at work bright and early on Thursday morning.  I was stressed out and overwhelmed and had SO much on my mind, but I was determined to do my job and do it well.  I think the universe felt this determination and decided to give me a break.  Two customers that I had spent a significant amount of time with the day before came in and made some rather large purchases, which started my day off with a relaxing deep breath.  Then, a third customer that I had seen the day before came in for a little more advice and made a purchase as well.  Three people that don't know each other all came in two days in a row?  That's more than a coincidence to me.  After that, I met a teacher that had an amazing story that touched me deeply.

Then there was Cora...

Cora Williams is the most beautiful person I know and I've only known her since Thursday.  She came up with her pine cone earrings (pine cones happen to be very symbolic to me) and a toothless smile and started talking to me about her favorite fragrance, Estee Super Cologne.  She went on and on and her enthusiasm made me smile.  She didn't mind when I had to stop her to help another customer...she just picked back up where she left off when I was finished.  She spent about 45 minutes telling me and everyone that would listen about Estee Lauder's fragrances and how they're the best in the world.  Then she heard an announcement for something free that's being given away in the store right now and she said "Leah, I'm gonna go see what it is, but I'll come back."  They never come back...so I just smiled as Cora walked away.  However, Cora is different.  She came back.  And when she did, I was stunned.  Cora wanted a fragrance, but she couldn't choose between three of them so I asked her if she wanted to open a Belk card, get 15% off and buy them all.  She thought that was the best idea she had heard all day.  I opened her card, got her fragrances, and brought everything around the counter to her.  When I handed Cora her bag, she pulled me in to the biggest embrace you can imagine and she started praying over me.  Right there.  In the middle of the store!  It sounded a little bit like this:

"Lord, this poor girl just needs you to see her.  She's got so much on her and she just needs you to kiss her, Lord.  She gives so much to everyone around her, she blesses everyone she meets and now she needs you to return her blessings three fold, Lord.  I know you can because you are so good!  Ohhhh Lord, I'm about to get happy!!  Leah, do you feel him kissing us?  He's kissing us!"

I hadn't talked to Cora about my day.  She didn't know anything about me.  It was definitely the strangest thing that's ever happened to me at work...but I really didn't mind at all.  Because regardless of the stares we were getting and the teasing that ensued after Cora left, it meant something to me that she cared about the little Lauder girl.  After the praying, Cora asked if she could speak to my boss and I told her she could.  She then told my boss that I was the best employee in the store and that I deserved a raise.  I laughed and my boss laughed, but Cora was serious.  Finally, Cora offered me one more big smile and said "when the Lord blesses you, I want you to call me so I can tell him thank you."

Now, if you're reading this with different religious beliefs than Cora, throw that aside.  Forget about her fearless faith and focus on her selflessness.  Cora was meant to be there that day.  I needed every bit of the outpouring of love I got from her.  My faith in humanity is restored when I meet people like her.  She is incredible.  She may not even remember me next week, but I will remember her for the rest of my life.  Because she is a woman that spreads beauty, love, and hope wherever she goes.  What I attempt to do with this blog, Cora does with her life.

I hope someday, I can be brave enough to love out loud like Cora does.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Cora and may God bless you for your walk of courage and fearlessness! And Leah... it just takes a step forward to love out loud but that step doesn't happen without courage. Remember courage isn't the absence of fear but rather the acknowledgement of fear and a determination to do it anyway. Much love! ---Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. That kind of spiritual listening ear that Cora has developed must require a lifetime of practice and upkeep. She clearly hears God and know just what to say!

    ReplyDelete