Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Hang in There

Facebook has been glum today.  It's looked a little something like this:

"Brown Summit is hurting and in pain."
"I just can't stop asking myself why.  This is so unreal."
"Still teary eyed.  So hard to grasp.  You've left many in confusion."
"I can't describe the hurt right now."
"The class of 2010 will never be the same."

It goes on and on.  I'm sure many of you have seen the same posts.  Some of you may have even posted something similar to this.  Brown Summit truly is hurting...this event truly is painful.

The death of Matthew Johnson has really torn my hometown up.  It's also brought many together.  Today, I've been struggling with how preventable this was.  I think back to how long it's been since I've seen him.  I wonder why we lost touch and what could have gone differently.  He was my cousin.  For 10 years, he lived 3 houses down from me.  I hurt for his sister.  I hurt for his parents.  I can't imagine the pain his best friends are in (I love you, Chelsea Smith).  I think of all of the tears.  I think of all of the people who can't quite wrap their minds around it and how they're going to cope with this.

I don't have any answers.  I can't bring him back.  All I can do is suggest that you do something today to prevent this from happening tomorrow.  Reach out to someone that you love.  No one knew how badly Matthew was hurting.  Ask your neighbor or best friend how things are going for them.  Reach out to a disconnected friendship.  Check on classmate or coworker.  Facebook someone you haven't heard from in a while.  Let someone, anyone, know that they're important.  Let them know you love them.  Remind them that you care.

To all of the students and alumni of Northeast, to all of Matthew's friends and family, and to the towns of Brown Summit and McLeansville, I know we will get through this together -- hang in there.  

"Today is one of those days that's reminded me that there are people in this world who are really suffering.  Whether it's problems big or small, they all matter and are important.  It's our job, as humans, to continuously show love to people.  It reveals all of my ugly selfishness and reminds me that my life doesn't revolve just around me.  It is so much more than that.  It's who we love and show compassion for that is important."  
-Chelsi Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment