Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Ambitious

"Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it.  Throughout my lifetime, I've left pieces of my heart here and there.  And now, there's almost not enough to stay alive.  But I force a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent."  -George Jung

I've spent my whole life trying to do great things.  I want to be known for something.  I want someone to notice the time and energy I put into being a good person.  I want someone to acknowledge the people I've tried to help and the initiative I've tried to take.  I want people to think my blog is worth reading because I feel like I have something worth saying.  I want people to understand me.  I want to be noticed, not forgotten.  I want to actually make a difference in the world and not just talk about it.  We all do.  We all want to feel like our lives mattered.  The truth is, waiting for someone to recognize your life matters, isn't going to make your life matter.  We all do great things, some just seemingly go unnoticed, and that's okay.

I like tattoos.  A lot.  I feel as though they are a way to express myself and keep a piece of my story alive throughout the years.  It's a way to have your own private legacy.  I also feel as though it's a way to share a piece of myself wherever I go.  I have a chest piece and more than once a day, someone asks what it says.  "And though she be but little she is fierce."  The response is more often than not, "that's beautiful, where is it from?"  Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream.  But THEN I get to say how it reminds me that no matter how insignificant I feel, I am strong and I am important.  That's an important message to share.  You are strong.  You are important.  And I get to tell someone that every single day.  Sometimes they ask what other tattoos I have and what they mean.  Sometimes they don't.  But regardless, they've heard something that mattered, something that is important for me to share with the world.  I don't care that it may not impact them or change their life.  I care that they know.  That they've heard it.  Because one day, there will be someone that is really changed by hearing that and that makes my voice heard.

The truth is, everyone has done something that matters...and you may feel like that something was forgotten years ago and will never be thought of again, but that's not the truth.  Your "something that mattered" will be remembered forever by the person you've affected.  You may not have made the news or had a book written about you.  Your story was never mentioned on Ellen or Oprah or Tyra.  But what you did mattered.  Because the person you helped remembers.  You've done great things.  You will do more great things.  Maybe you should have been recognized, but that shouldn't stop you from doing more great things!

On a side note, I have 6 incredibly awesome tattoos.  Check out the people that did my work -- I know they would all love to do your next tattoo!  Clicking on the name will send you to the link:
Allyson Johnson - Columbia, SC
Shane Gauldin - Archdale, NC
Doug York - Mebane, NC

No comments:

Post a Comment