Saturday, December 22, 2012

Christmas is for Teaching

"Christmas... that magic blanket that wraps itself around us, that something so intangible that it is like a fragrance.  It may weave a spell of nostalgia.  Christmas may be a day of feasting, or of prayer, but it will always be a day of remembrance -- a day in which we think of everything we have ever loved."  -Augusta E. Rundel

Earlier this week, I was doing a makeover on a woman and she and I started talking about the holidays.  When she left, she told me to have a Merry Christmas and I returned the sentiment.  Someone nearby commented that she was offended by my response.  She said that I should not say "Merry Christmas" but rather "Happy Holidays."  (For the record, I don't normally wish anyone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Holiday at work, but if they give their sentiments, I always return the favor.)  I was having lunch with my good friend, A'lyssa, the next day and telling her about this woman that was genuinely upset over me wishing this woman a Merry Christmas.  We started talking about religion and holidays and the meaning of it all...this is the overview of our holiday conversation (:

In general, Christmas seems to have lost it's meaning, which is so heartbreaking.  Jordan and I both agree that there is a reason for the season, however, we don't think that giving gifts is the proper way to celebrate that "reason."  Even still, we do give each other and friends and family Christmas presents.  The reason is, we think Christmas is a great time to teach lessons.  When we have children, we hope to use Christmas as a time to teach the gift of giving, responsibility with budgeting, and understanding that sometimes we have to choose between two things that we really want.

Obviously, the gift of giving is simple.  They'll learn that giving to others makes you feel good.  They'll learn that there are many less fortunate and that they should share what they've been given with those around them.  However, in order to allow someone to experience the gift of giving, you yourself have to be willing to receive.  This is another lesson they will learn -- how to be humble in receiving.  Our Children will be given a set dollar amount for how much they can spend on Christmas gifts as a whole.  We will sit down with them and teach them how to budget to get the perfect gift for everyone on their lists without spending beyond their means.  We believe that starting these lessons young, will make them more financially responsible as they grow older.  While making their Christmas lists, they'll know how much we're able to spend on each child.  This may mean that they have to choose between two gifts that they really want.  Decision making is a trait that we want to develop early.  Knowing that they can't have EVERYTHING at a young age, in our opinion, will make them more likely to make wise decisions on what they do and don't need when they're older.

While we will do fun things and Christmas will be a fun event in our household, we will use it as a time of teaching.  Being together and sharing time and joy with one another will be something that I hope is a daily event in our home...but learning the lessons of Christmas will be something I look forward to every year.

On a similar note, I'd like to take the time to acknowledge two people who have given me an awesome Christmas present.  Veronica (@VeronicaLeeAn) and Nancy (@RillitoRigata) have tweeted some of the kindest words I've ever heard this holiday season.  These two ladies have been so amazingly encouraging and supportive.  It's amazing to me that someone I've never even met can reach out and really relate to my story and provide strength, unity, and encouragement.  Thank you ladies so much!  Jordan and I hope your holiday seasons are filled with love and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment